Sausage, peppers, and onions never tasted so good! You will not believe how little work goes into this dish for the amount of flavor you get out! The tomatoes are sitting this one out, and they’ve been replaced by white wine. If you thought you knew sausage and peppers before, try slopping this on a thick, crusty roll and be taken to a whole new level of Italian deliciousness!
Baked Sausage and Peppers with White Wine:
- Large baking dish, large saute pan, spatula or wooden spoon, slotted spoon, knife, cutting board, stove, oven
- 3 lbs small new potatoes, quartered
- 4 small yellow onions, quartered
- 1 lb spicy pork sausage links, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into large chunks
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into large chunks
- 8 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 cup hot chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 Tbsp evoo, divided
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (as desired)
- 1 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2) Heat 1 Tbsp of the evoo in the saute pan over medium high heat. Brown the sausage, and once cooked (about 5-7 mins), use the slotted spoon to move the sausage to the baking dish.
3) In the sausage drippings and evoo, cook the potatoes with the kosher salt and ground black pepper for about 10 mins or until they start to brown. Use the slotted spoon to move the potatoes to the baking dish.
4) As needed, add 1-2 Tbsp evoo and cook the onions, garlic, and peppers until starting to soften (about 5 mins). Use the slotted spoon to transfer the baking dish.
5) Pour the hot chicken stock, white wine, basil, thyme, parsley, oregano, and crushed red pepper in the baking dish. Stir to make sure the sausage and veggies are well coated in the spices. Bake 25-30 mins.
What to Drink? Your favorite white wine