No Meat? No Impact? No Problem!!
Fajitas are an easy way to get fresh veggies into your diet, and if you’re trying to cut back on (or cut out completely) meat, then this flexible recipe should be on your next meal plan! Unlike tacos or other Tex-Mex fair, fajitas are all about clean and surprisingly simple flavor combos that are easy and classics. The only way you’ll miss the meat is if you tell yourself you do!
Vegetarian Fajitas: (Sizzling Skillet optional 😀 )
- Large saute pan, spatula, knife, cutting board, stove
- 2 red and 2 green bell peppers, cored and cut into strips
- 4-5 shiitake mushrooms, cut into strips
- 3 small yellow onions, cut into 1/4″ slivers
- 1+ diced jalapeno (more to taste)
- 4 cloves roughly chopped garlic
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- Grated cheddar and jack (optional)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- In the large saute pan, drizzle about 2 Tbsp of evoo and heat the oil over med. high heat. Add the onions and give them a generous pinch of salt and a dash of black pepper. Saute for 2-3 mins and then add the garlic and jalapeno. Cook another minute.
- Add the mushrooms and all of the spices. Cook another 3-5 mins or until the mushrooms are sweating and the onions are soft and clear.
- Add the sliced peppers to the pan and saute until the peppers reach you desired cooking level (I like mine to still have a little bite to them but be soft, or about 10 minutes). Stir in the cilantro. Serve over steamed tortillas and top with cheese.