Summatime means light food and at lunch time, preferably chilled. It seems like this time of year I can’t get enough of this quinoa salad. It’s cold, light, crunchy, tasty, and filling. What more could you ask for? This dish is perfect for quick lunches, picnics, and a guilt-free midnight snack. This recipe is also a great way to get flax oil into your daily routine (an awesome veg source of Omega 6’s), but if you can’t find/afford flax oil, or don’t have any on hand, no worries evoo substitutes easily! Also, as a side note, I recently learned that in the US, we don’t really need to soak quinoa at all, because it’s already gone through the 12-24 hours of whatever it needs.
- Large mixing bowl, wooden spoon, knife, cutting board, medium-large sauce pan with lid, stove top
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup quinoa (I used a mix of red and white)
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 lb edamame, shelled
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1-2 roasted red peppers, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- The juice and zest of one lime
- 4 Tbsp flax oil (or evoo)
- 1/2 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the veg. stock to a boil in the sauce pan. Add the quinoa, cover, and let simmer until all of the liquid is gone (about 20 mins). Let the quinoa cool, then put it in the fridge to chill completely.
- Add all of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper as needed and serve chilled.