This is the epitome of simple, seasonal, hearty food. All you have to do is chop everything up, season it, and throw it in the oven. And of course it’s easily customizable, making it market and late-summer garden friendly. Just add what you’ve got! Also, if you’re trying to find a way to use leftover roasted veggies, serving over polenta can make leftovers feel a little facier. Oh, you fancy huh??
I still haven’t taken the time to figure out how to make my own polenta yet, but the varieties available at a local family market are low in sodium and really really flavorful – so I’ll stick with this until money gets tight again. I used a basil and garlic polenta this time, and it freaking rocks.
Roasted Vegetables with Tofu over Polenta:
- Knife, cutting board, Silpat (helpful for easier clean-up, but not necessary), large baking sheet, tongs or a spatula, oven
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large bite-sized chunks
- 1 sweet white pepper (or Paprika), similarly chunked
- 1 white onion, halved and slivered
- 1 of the largest cherry tomatoes I’ve ever seen (or 1 plum tomato), cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- ~1 doz crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 1 pkg pre-made polenta, sliced into 1/2″ rounds
- Dried basil
- Garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F and wash your hands.
- Prep all the veggies, the tofu, and the polenta. Spread out the zucchini, red and white peppers, onion, garlic, mushrooms and tofu on the sheet pan lined with a Silpat. Drizzle with evoo. Sprinkle on a generous pinch of salt, pepper, a small palm-full of dried basil (approx 1-2 Tbsp), a generous pinch of garlic powder, and a pinch of red pepper flake as desired. Use your hands to mix the veggies and tofu in the oil and seasonings. Make sure everybody’s feeling the love. Wash your hands again.
- Bake at 375 F for 20-25 mins. Remove the pan from the oven and use the tongs or spatula to turn the veg. Lay the sliced polenta on top of the veggies. Return to the oven and bake another 15-20 mins.
- Remove from the oven and top with tomato wedges.