Yeah… It’s been one of those weeks. Who else has a headache?
I started off my week still reeling from a frustrating and draining weekend – which was only perpetuated by a complete lack of success in the kitchen early on.
The problem with messing up my big dishes of the week, is that in the middle of the work week, I don’t have time/money/energy to cook replacements, and I depend on my pre-made meals lasting me. So, when I have kitchen flubs or a poorly designed meal-plan, I find myself scrambling each day for a quick, cheap fix that also meets my dietary needs. Btw, ^ this is damn near impossible.
And so, I spent most of the week eating chips, dried fruit, and peanut brittle. Now, it’s Friday night, and I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a salad more in my entire life!!! This isn’t really a recipe… because it’s a salad, but it is still good enough to jot down for future reference. The edamame are crunchy, the onions sharp, the garlic spicy, and the black beans filling. I served it with a tart lemon, basil, and poppy dressing (aaaaawesome!).
Oh, and can I give a shout-out to locally grown edamame? That’s just flippin’ smart.
A salad for your refresh button:
Ingredients: (serves 2-3)
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/2 med yellow onion, small dice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 lb shelled edamame
- 1 small head red leaf lettuce
- 3-4 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, halved, and sliced
For the Dressing: (from my post on avoiding boring salads)
- Combine 1/2 clove chopped raw garlic, the juice and zest of 1 lemon (usually about 2 Tbsp juice yielded), 6 Tbsp evoo, 2 tsp+ poppy seeds, 2-3 leaves fresh basil chopped into fine ribbons, 1/2 pinch ground black pepper, and a full pinch of Kosher salt in a small mason jar. Shake and ENJOY!!