I would like to give a shout-out to my girl at OnMyWayToHealth for pointing me in the direction of this recipe! This is an absolutely AWESOME creamy tomato sauce recipe without the cream! Cashews blended with a fresh chopped tomato and tomato paste provide a tangy-sweet and creamy base for an amazing but simple Italian classic white wine tomato basil sauce. As OnMyWay notes, this recipe is great for those transitioning to vegan and trying to satisfy lingering creamy cravings and also as a nice change from the typical red pasta sauce. Every kitchen needs a few good pasta sauce recipes. Come summer, we’re all going to need as many tomato recipes as possible, and I’m really excited to be able to add this one to my recipe box!
“Creamy” Tomato Basil Sauce:
- Food processor, medium saute pan, wooden spoon, spatula
- 3 fresh tomatoes, 1 chopped into big chunks, the other 2 diced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 heaping cup of roasted, unsalted cashews
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ~10 big fresh basil leaves, cut into small ribbons
- 1/4 evoo
- Dry white wine (to taste)
- Water (as needed)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Add the cashews, tomato that was roughly chopped, tomato paste, 2-3 Tbsp of water and a big pinch of kosher salt to the food processor. Blend, scrape down the sides, and keep blending until the mixture is silky smooth.
- Heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion. Saute 2-3 mins until softened and then add the chopped garlic. Saute another 2-3 mins, or until the garlic and onions are just starting to brown. Add a big pinch of salt, pepper, the diced tomatoes and the cashew-tomato mixture from the blender. Let cook 1-2 mins, or until simmering.
- Once the tomatoes are starting to get hot, add 2-3 splashes of a dry white wine (to taste) and/or a few Tbsp of water. Without extra liquid the sauce is very thick and creamy. I wanted mine a little thinner, so I ended up adding probably 3-4 Tbsp of wine and the same amount of water. Add the basil and let simmer together 5-10 mins or until all of the flavors are deliciously incorporated.