After an extra 2 months of frosty winter weather, spring has sprung and so have spring’s veggies! And I’ve spent the past 2 months eagerly anticipating this spring’s first peas. After listening to me talk about peas and how deeply my love of peas runs, a friend challenged me to cook a new dish with peas every day this month. And all I have to say is
I’d like to start off this marathon of pea-based puns with a simple and easy saute of local, spring veg that also uses up some of the leftover root veg I’ve got sitting on the counter from this super long winter.
Peas with potatoes, asparagus, and mushrooms:
- 1 potato, diced
- 2-3 stalks asparagus, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh shelled peas
- 2 baby bellas, thinly sliced
- 1/4 block firm sprouted tofu, diced
- kosher salt
- all-purpose seasoning
- Heat a few tablespoons of evoo over med high heat. Add the diced potato and a pinch of salt. Cook the potatoes until crispy golden brown.
- Add the tofu and sprinkle generously with your favorite all-purpose seasoning. Let cook 5 mins till warmed.
- Toss in the asparagus and saute 1-2 more minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook another minute before stirring in the peas.
- Let all the veggies saute 1-3 minutes until hot, but still crunchy. Reseason as needed.